Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Book Club: French Edition

Photo from GoodReads
Taking advantage of spring break free time, I hit up Borders this evening to scan the shelves and use the last bit of money on a gift card I'd saved from Christmas (I didn't want to spend it!) As I browsed the books one by one (I could honestly live in a book store or library,) I stumbled across a fun little book that I think will soon be an addition to my favorite book of all time collection. Helena Frith Powell's All You Need to be Impossibly French: A Witty Investigation Into the Lives, Lusts, and Little Secrets of French Women seems like it will be an exciting and insightful adventure. 

Anxiously ready to begin reading, I took the book the gym with me tonight to read as I cycled away.I'm only two chapters in and already I've stumbled across some great tips to live the ever classy, sophisticated and sexy French lifestyle. The second chapter is called "Zen Exercise" and (no surprise here) it takes a look at the unusual fitness style of those impeccably perfect French fashionistas. 

The book puts it bluntly: French women want the greatest results possible, while putting forth as little effort as possible. (hmm...) They don't like to break a sweat and don't see the purpose in using weights to add bulk to your body. They take advantage of every opportunity to stretch and walk or cycle everywhere they can. They will wake up 30 minutes earlier just to walk to work and will always choose to take the stairs instead of an elevator. They walk to lunch and will work on small stretches and exercises while watching their children at the park. They do as much shopping as possible (all that walking and trying on clothes burns calories you know) and never drink to excess. 

Image by Inslee
French women also spend more time in the bedroom with their significant others (wink wink.) They know that all movement burns calories and tones muscles, so they are sure to use that to their advantage. I am now dying to be French. These women have such class and sophistication (though it is due to pure arrogance at times) and always seem to be beautiful and put together, no matter what the occasion. 

While we as American's may not always be able to follow all the routines these fantastic French women have, we may be able  to try and incorporate as many into our daily lives as possible. Only two chapters in,  this book already has me planning my trip to the city of love and lights and dying to find out what else these seemingly chic women have to offer me. I can't wait :)

You can purchase the book here or check out Helena's fantastic blog here. Au revoir!

1 comment:

  1. So I almost bought this book at Borders. Instead I bought a cookbook. I may have to go back and get it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete