Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Spring break? More like an everything break!

Well apparently for me spring break means take a break from everything. I haven't slacked totally though, I have been getting up early to take some aerobics classes at my local gym. This morning I took a class that is new to my gym, Cardio Fuel. It's a 60 minute high cardio circuit class. It was a mixture of step, kickboxing, general cardio and some focused toning. The class definitely pushed me to my limits, but I felt amazing afterwards. It feels great when you stick it out and finish a class that is really difficult for you.

I've been on the hunt lately for some new songs to add to my workout playlists. Especially since I finally started teaching some classes at the gym on campus (It was so scary!) I realized that I needed a serious iPod update. I'm not a big fan of mainstream hip hop and pop (except for the occasional Lady GaGa, my guilty pleasure) so sometimes it's hard for me to find some tunes that really make me want to get moving. 


Here's the lineup of my current fitness playlist:

  1. Lights (Messed Remix)-  Ellie Goulding
  2. That's Not My Name- The Ting Tings
  3. When I Grow Up (Lissvik Remix)- Fever Ray
  4. Pursuit of Happiness (Steve Aoki Dance Remix)- Kid Cudi
  5. Dog Days Are Over (Breakage Remix)- Florence and the Machine
  6. Heartbeats (Rex the Dog Remix)- The Knife
  7. Born This Way- Lady GaGa
  8. Ghosts 'N Stuff- Deadmau5
  9. Through The Wire- Kanye West
  10. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger- Daft Punk
  11. Summertime Clothes- Animal Collective
  12. My Delirium- Ladyhawke
  13. Little Secrets (Felix Da Housecat Remix)- Passion Pit
  14. Waka Waka- Shakira 
  15. Swing Tree- Discovery




Where do you ladies find your music? Do you search around for premade workout cds/ mixes or do you create your own? Or do you just listen to whatever is playing at the gym? 

Along with hunting for new songs to add to my mixes, I've also been searching around for some new exercises to add to my routines. It's so important to keep updating your workouts to keep your body guessing and working hard. I'm sure I've mentioned this before but new moves are great for making your muscles stay tight and toned. 

Trainer to the stars, Tracy Anderson, is wildly popular for her hardcore workout routines that work to strengthen and tone muscles without adding any bulk. Using no more than 3lb weights and mixing toning moves with cardio and dance routines, she has created the Tracy Anderson Method to transform bodies worldwide. 
Image from InNewsToday



You can check out Tracy's website, search for some videos from her on youtube or read about her workouts on a variety of workout blogs across the net. Her tips and workout moves are fantastic for both at home and gym workouts. I read an article about Tracy's routine and found a couple great toning exercises within:
  • Ballet Grand Plies: Stand with hells together, toes slightly apart. With a straight back, bend at the knee as low as you can, then go back up again. Work up to 100 reps.
  • Single Arm Overhead Pulse: Using 3lbs weights, stand with feet shoulder-width apart, arms at your sides. Raise one arm above your head with your elbow slightly bent and then straighten your arm completely over your head. Pulse like that, up and down. Work up to 100 reps on one side and then the other.
  • Piking: Lie flat on the floor, arms at your side. LIft straight legs up to ceiling at 90 degrees and then gently lower. Without pausing, lift them back up again .Your upper body should remain flat on the floor.
For more information on Tracey's routine and workouts for the stars check out the article I read, Tracy's website, FitSugar's collection of articles or any of Tracy's workout DVD's.


1 comment: